Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Silly Season!



What does Christmas mean to you? Are you a Grinch who complains about silver bells and business marketing? Or are you Christmas crazy and plan your Christmas 6 months in advance?

Wikipedia: Christmas Day is an annual holiday celebrated on December 25 that commemorates the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. The date of commemoration is not known to be Jesus' actual birthday, and may have initially been chosen to correspond with either a historical Roman festival or the winter solstice. Christmas is central to the Christmas and holiday season, and in Christianity marks the beginning of the larger season of Christmastide, which lasts twelve days.
Although traditionally a Christian holiday, Christmas is widely celebrated by many non-Christians, and some of its popular celebratory customs have pre-Christian or secular themes and origins. Popular modern customs of the holiday include gift-giving, music, an exchange of greeting cards, church celebrations, a special meal, and the display of various decorations; including Christmas trees, lights, and garlands, mistletoe, nativity scenes, and holly. In addition, Father Christmas (known as Santa Claus in North America, Australia and Ireland) is a popular mythological figure in many countries, associated with the bringing of gifts for children.
Because gift-giving and many other aspects of the Christmas festival involve heightened economic activity among both Christians and non-Christians, the holiday has become a significant event and a key sales period for retailers and businesses. The economic impact of Christmas is a factor that has grown steadily over the past few centuries in many regions of the world.

I’m not religious at all and December is summer time where I live, so there is no Jesus and no snow. As a child Christmas was about Santa and his flying reindeer, singing Christmas carols, advent calendars, making cards and decorations for the tree, candy canes and hot summer nights. I LOVED waking up and finding my Christmas stocking full of lollies and little presents. I was so excited to open presents I could barely sit still. My brother, sister and I would watch Christmas cartoons until Dad would get in from the farm. Then we would all have a huge BBQ breakfast. Bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast and coffee, followed by champagne and chocolate – the only day of the year where its acceptable to eat chocolate at breakfast time haha! The Christmas tree would make the lounge smell of pine and the house would be decorated in theme. I always got so many amazing thoughtful gifts from family and friends. We would spend the rest of the day eating and drinking and hanging out on the deck in the sun. Dinner would be more amazing food; my favourite was always dessert PAVLOVA! Ice-cream, chocolate and strawberries. I ate until my belly was sooo full.

A couple of days later we would pack up and go to the Coromandel for a beach holiday. I had amazing summers holidaying there, the most beautiful part of New Zealand. Good times.

This is my second Christmas away from home; all of my family (except my brother) are in New Zealand.

Now that I live on the Gold Coast, it’s about friends, food, parties, shopping, presents and hot weather!
I have been wondering what to do for Christmas this year. I have several friends who have moved here as well and we’ve been talking about all getting together for a BBQ. Bring food and bottles of liquor for yummy cocktails. My fav cocktail for the silly season is…
Candy Cane Martini
• 1 1/2 ounces vanilla vodka
• 1/2 ounce peppermint schnapps
• 1 ounce club soda
• crushed candy canes for garnish
Rim a martini glass with crushed candy canes. Mix vodka, schnapps, and club soda with ice in a cocktail shaker; strain into prepared glass.


Watch this space for my Christmas Cupcakes! ;)


My Christmas Wish List (feel free to donate)
• Gucci Flora perfume
• GHD
• Pink Wittner heals
• Jacket with shoulder pads
• Coral lip gloss
• Louis Vuitton Handbag
• Party dresses, jewellery, make up, shoes and bikinis!
• Cocktail Glasses
• Ministry Of Sound Anthems II
• Nintendo Wii
And last but not least, I want the people I love to smile and have fun.

Merry Christmas xxx

1 comment:

  1. I have to try these drinks :D thanks for sharing recipe!

    ReplyDelete