Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Geek

I need to pick a subject to study. I want to educate myself with some fresh skills and knowledge. This is quite an important decision for me as it will lead me to my next career path. I love my job and the company I work for, but I don't want to be an admin assistant forever.
I think the best way for me to choose this is to figure out what I love and what I can’t stand, in all aspects of my personality, then apply this to making the decision.

Going back to when I was a kid, my mother (may her soul rest in peace) was VERY creative. She was the most amazing lady e.v.e.r. She could design and make clothes for everyone, cook, bake, garden and decorate. She was a hairdresser and a nurse. She helped my dad run the farm and “balance the books”.
My dad had a farm and worked physically very hard and I am so fortunate to have someone like him as my father. He is a king in my eyes. I have some of this in my personality, I like to get my hands dirty and get amongst the action. I like being active and I love being outdoors.
I’m not trying to base my next career path on my parent’s personalities but I think they do influence my personality.
At school my best and favourite subject was English. I did take Graphic design but failed as I was only good at the drawing and making things look pretty but not so good at the written work. I loved art and drama and languages. I hated maths at first but then really enjoyed it. I failed at science but I think I would appreciate that now.
After school I studied administration skills to get me a job in an office. I then stopped any further studying to concentrate my time and energy into modelling. You can’t be a swimwear model when you’re 35 so that’s why I chose to do it at a younger age.

The subject I’ve been thinking of lately is journalism. I want to be a TV presenter - I’d love to have my own show! But I’ve kind of gone off that lately as I have a negative opinion about the media. I can’t stand celeb gossip and I think most of the events exaggerated and dragged out. Working for a magazine would be fun but I think eventually they will be phased out with technology like iPads – most people now read the news online.
I've had about 5 different choices in the last 6 months. I keep changing my mind :P

My interests
• Learning new skills. I’m very curious about all aspects of life. People and communication, fashions, health and fitness, technology, real estate and the economy.
• Being realistic. Work with my hands, fixing things, building, repairing.
• Investigative. Thinking and problem solving, research, collecting and analyzing data.
• Artistic. I love to create something, show it to people and have them admire it. (like the cupcakes I bake and photo shoots I do). Composing and writing.
• Being social. I like working with people, helping and teaching.

Things I can’t stand
• Sales. Ugh. I did promo for like 4 years and I did so much sales work in that time, I was good but it was very draining for me. I couldn’t do sales full time. I’ve been there and done that and want something else now. I would have to LOVE my products to work in sales.
• Mundane repetitive tasks. The same things all day every day. I do like some routine but I my attention span can sometimes suffer.

So in summary, I love to learn and be creative and active with people. What kind of careers does this match?
• Graphic and Interior Design
• Fashion Design and Styling
• Landscaping
• Architecture
• Applied Sciences
• Event Management
• ANY OTHERS??? ADVICE IS WELCOME

How did you choose your career?
Is it something you “fell into” or something you worked hard for?
Are you yet to figure out what you want to do?


2 comments:

  1. I fell into my current job as an insurance broker. My next job in gym sales I've worked hard for, I'm studying to become a personal trainer so that will be the next step next year..
    All good options! I think you'll succeed in any path you choose.
    Other things to consider=
    competition - wages - education - strengths - weakeness - demand. Talk to people in the industry.
    Event Management could be an intersting one. GOOD LUCK x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gawsh, I still have no idea what i want to do with my life! I know I want to do something creative..but it's hard to narrow it down to one thing!
    I'm sure you will find your "niche" sooner or later!
    Aww, i grew up on a farm too!And your mum sounds like an amazing lady, I'm so sorry to hear that she is no longer with us :( I bet she's still watching over you though, and she would be very proud of her girl ♥

    ReplyDelete