Friday, February 05, 2010

Re-energise your career goals for 2010

As we enter 2010, everyone is setting out to achieve their new year’s resolution.

By conducting a personal stocktake, deciding where you want to be, making a plan and staying on track with that plan, you can increase your success in 2010.

Step 1: Conduct a personal stocktake
Assess where you’re at currently and what you have achieved in the last 12 months. Make a list and consider, what were the highs? What were the lows? What did you enjoy the most? What did you achieve career-wise? Have you achieved a good work/life balance?

Step 2: Where would you like to be?
Now that you have assessed your progress in 2009, start thinking about where you’d like to be in your personal life and career. You should be completely open and honest with yourself, listing all of your dreams and goals - even those things that you think are too hard.

Step 3: Set about making a plan
Now that you have assessed your past achievements, and set goals to achieve in the future, it’s time to start making a plan of attack to get yourself where you’d like to be. Plan stages or steps to take from where you are today in order to get to where you ultimately want to be, working out what it is you must do to get to the place you desire in your career and life. Consider, realistically, how long it will take you to get there, plan out what you have to achieve in the year and then break it down to what you have to do each month, and even each week.

Step 4: How to stay on track with your plan
Most people know from experience that it is one thing to have a great plan but another thing entirely to stick to the plan and make it work.

Here are some tips to keep you focused on your plan and ultimately achieve your objectives:
• Make it fun – Albert Einstein once said “If you love your job, then you never have to work another day in your life”. Use this way of thinking when setting goals, find fun ways to achieve the things you want.
• Get a coach –If you can’t afford to hire a professional coach right now then get a friend to help, someone who is creative and motivating, and someone who will keep you on track and help you to enjoy the process.
• Set achievable goals – Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting goals that are too high. Start by setting small goals and reward yourself each time that you achieve one of the goals.
• Remember it takes 21 days to form a new habit. If you remember this then it will help you to get through those tough days I sometimes leave notes around my house and work desk to remind me what I’m aiming for and why.
• Visualise success – Imagine yourself having achieved the goals and what your life will be like. Think about how you will feel!



The goals I set for 2010 are
#1. Modelling. Photoshoots with amazing photographers Gary Howard and Daniel Gowans.
#2. Take care of myself. Continue with healthy eating and running. Surround myself with positive, fun and successful people. My body is my temple, treat it well. Learn to relax.
#3. Career. Work hard.
#4. Money. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE and SAVE some more. 2011 Wedding.
#5. Shane. Each year I seem to fall more and more in love with my man. Everything is so perfect in our relationship. Keep doing what I’m doing, it’s working ;)
#6. Friends and Family. Keep going out and meeting new people. I love the beautiful social life I have at the moment! Continue to be a great friend to the people you love. Keep in touch facebook/email/phone. Go out for dinners and hang out at the beach. SHOPPING!
#7. Get my first tattoos. Exciting! I have 4 planned in my head.
#8. Join a sports team.
#9. Stop and savour all the sweet moments in my life. So many amazing things are going on at the moment and I feel like I need to “live in the moment” a little more. It’s always about what is coming next.
#10. Push the boundaries. If I want something I go and get it. I am responsible for everything in my life. I make it happen for myself.

So far I have achieved all of them except get my tattoos and join a sports team, but hey, its only the start of February ;)
 
How is your year going thus far? xxx

2 comments:

  1. My goals need to be DEFINED. I know that I want (need!) to live off my creativity...just need to devise a way of actually getting that to happen! I "experiment" with lots of creative stuff, but I really need to focus on ONE in order to get anywhere....Hard! But I must keep trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay sounds good hun. make it happen :)

    ReplyDelete